(Taken from the By-Laws of the The Barbados Association of Professional Engineers, hereinafter called “the Company”. [Bracketed comments added])
2. MEMBERSHIP AND QUALIFICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
(1) The membership of the Company shall consist of [Fellow Members], Honorary Members, Corporate Members, Graduate Members, Student Members and Affiliate members.
(2) Honorary Members shall be chosen from those who have become eminent in engineering or kindred sciences.
(3) A Corporate Member shall (a) possess a degree from a University or School of Engineering recognised by the Company or shall possess some equivalent qualification recognised by the Company; (b) have had not less than four years approved experience in engineering subsequent to obtaining his qualifications and (c) at the time of his/her application for membership be actually engaged in professional engineering works.
(4) A Graduate Member shall at the time of his/her application for membership possess a degree from a University or school of Engineering recognised by the Company or shall possess some equivalent qualification recognised by the Company.
(5) A Student Member shall at the time of his/her application be actually pursuing a course of study which leads to an academic qualification recognised by the Company.
(6) An Affiliate Member shall be one who does not qualify for membership under any of the foregoing subsections of Section 2 but who holds a position of responsibility in engineering acceptable to the Committee and whose pursuits and practical experience are in the opinion of the Committee likely to enable him/her to contribute to the advancement of engineering knowledge.
(7) An Honorary Member shall be entitled to the use after his/her name the designation “MBAPE (Hon.)”; a Corporate Member the designation “MBAPE”; an Affiliate the designation “Affiliate BAPE”.
CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the Company shall be bound by a Code of Ethics approved by the Committee and the breach by any member of any of the articles of the Code of Ethics may, at the discretion of the Committee, constitute sufficient grounds for the suspension or expulsion of such members under Section 6 of these By-laws.
3. ADMISSION TO MEMBERSHIP AND TRANSFER
(1) Nominations for Honorary membership shall be made by the Committee and such nominee shall become an Honorary Member on approval by a simple majority of those present and voting at any General Meeting of the Company.
(2) Application for admission to membership other than Honorary membership or for transfer from one grade of membership to another shall be made on the prescribed forms, and the admission or transfer of any candidate shall be subject to the approval of a majority of the Committee and in accordance with the requirements of Section 2.
(3) A Graduate Member shall apply for membership under Section 2(3) as soon as he/she fulfills the requirements of engineering experience.
BAPE’s membership application form can be downloaded by clicking on the link below.